Nacho Cheese Omelette: Without eggs or cheese!
There used to be a restaurant in Harvard Square called The Greenhouse that served the best Nacho Cheese Omelette on the planet! The cheese sauce was rich, creamy, and spicy. The Greenhouse is long gone as are my unhealthy eating habits. Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to give up flavor or that feeling of indulgence. These Nacho Cheese Omelettes will satisfy both.
Nacho Cheese Sauce
Makes 4-5 servings
- ½ Block of tofu (about 8 oz), drained
- ⅓ cup cashews*
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (or hot pepper to taste)
Blend all the ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy.
* If you don’t have a high speed blender, pre-soak the cashews in warm water for about 2 hours. Drain the water before adding to the blender.
Makes 4-5 servings
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning (or other salt-free seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black salt (kala namak)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, for color, optional
- A few drops of oil to grease the skillet
Black Salt is used in Indian cuisine. It has a pink tint to it, but don’t confuse it with pink salt. It’s high sulfur content will impart your omelette with an eggy flavor. A word of caution, a little bit goes a long way. A tiny pinch is exceptional, any more and the sulphur taste will overwhelm the omelette and leave you with an odd aftertaste.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, it’ll make a fairly runny batter.
Heat a skillet over medium heat – I prefer cast iron. Put a few drops of oil in your hot pan and wipe the excess with a paper towel. Test your pan with a drop of water. If it sizzles, go ahead and add your omelette batter.
Cooking your omelette is more like cooking a pancake than eggs. Bubbles will form on the top and the edges will dry out. Take a peek underneath and flip after the edges have dried, but before the surface starts to turn brown.
Fill your omelette with roasted vegetables and top with Nacho Cheese Sauce. Enjoy!