Batch Cooking Marinara Sauce
Makes 4 quarts
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 ½ yellow onion
- 8 oz white mushrooms
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 28 oz cans of no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon (salt-free) italian seasoning
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried basil
- 4 bay leaves
- Coarsely chop all the veggies and follow the instructions for your cooking method below.
- When the cooking is finished, pull out the bay leaves and puree with an immersion blender.
- Set aside and allow to cool before packing for the freezer.
For the Instant Pot:
Place all the ingredients in the Instant Pot liner + 1 ½ cup of water. Mix well and cook for 12 minutes.
If your Instant Pot isn’t big enough to accommodate all 3 cans of sauce, use only 2 and add the third just before you puree.
I prefer the instant pot for two reasons, you can set it and forget it, no need to babysit a pot, and it adds no extra heat or humidity to the kitchen.
For the stove:
Place all ingredients + 3 cups water in an 8 quart stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring often to prevent sticking.
This method needs more water than the Instant Pot or the crock pot because you’ll have more evaporation.
For the crock pot:
Place all ingredients in the crock pot + 1 ½ cups of water. Set on high. Cooking time will depend on how long it takes your unit to get hot. Once it’s up to temperature it should simmer for 30 minutes.